[free-sklyarov] Adobe MUST LOOSE!

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Thu Jul 19 09:02:37 PDT 2001

On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, Lars Gaarden wrote:
> What would really hurt them, would be a class-action lawsuit from
> publishers and other companies that believed Adobe's claims that the
> eBook format was safe. A number of publishers suing for damage might
> cost Adobe a lot more in cash and good-will than anything a boycot by
> us nerds and hackers can achieve.

It's exactly this kind of thinking that keeps corporate America in charge.

We 'nerds and hackers' are their life-blood.  We keep their systems doing
what their systems should do.

A walk-out would be INCREDIBLY effective.

How many people here know folks at their work who simply CAN'T be fired
(and certainly not en masse) because of the specialized knowledge they
carry?  How many "undocumented features" have we got in our heads that
keep our companies running?

Geeks of today have more power than the masons and shriners of the middle
ages... our knowledge is more arcane and our influence over daily life is
greater.

We could turn that power over society into a power for real change!

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net