[free-sklyarov] picketting Adobe?

Klepht klepht at eleutheria.org
Thu Jul 19 11:49:12 PDT 2001

    DB> Again, you're preaching to the choir. _I_ understand the
    DB> correlation between fair-use on books and fair-use on e-books,
    DB> but the media has biased the "masses" against "hackers"
    DB> through years of bad press.

I think my point was that one could formulate easy-to-understand and
true statements about the Sklyarov case for mass consumption. I'm not
trying to explain the case to the people on this list.

    DB> As I write the paragraphs below, I want to be clear that I
    DB> *don't* believe these things I'm saying, but that it is "the
    DB> response" you'll get if you make these arguments to the
    DB> uneducated masses.

Well, it seems to me that we need to make our points louder then, eh?
When it boils down to spin, we have to spin things our way as best we
can. Everyone can plant fnords, after all.

    DB> Seriously, don't get me wrong, I'm ALL FOR what you're saying,
    DB> but I think you miss that the average person is a sheep, who
    DB> accepts as undiluted truth what is spoon-fed to them via the
    DB> media.

Well, first of all, I'm going to formally disagree with the elitist
implication that average people are stupid. I think you're wrong here,
but I don't think there's much point in arguing that.

But second of all, America is a willing audience for our message. The
message is: fair. The message is: US out of my computer. The message
is: my home, my castle. These are not difficult messages to convince
the US public of.

If the story on CNN ("FBI Arrests Russian Hacker") is heavily slanted,
let's get the story "Broad-based Rights Coalition Demands Fair Use
Rights" up there instead. We can get the story "Americans Think DMCA
Goes Too Far" up there.

It's not really that hard. The only way to lose is to capitulate
before we start.

~Klepht

klepht at eleutheria.org
http://www.eleutheria.org/