[free-sklyarov] picketting Adobe?

Lloyd Davidson ldavids at northwestern.edu
Thu Jul 19 17:59:30 PDT 2001

What about locking a book inside of a small safe instead of burning
it?  Burying it might be another apt metaphor.  Both of these are more
closely equivalent to the encryption of text that keeps its content hidden
away then burning.

Actually, however, I am not opposed in principle to encrypting books or
other copyrighted content as an aid to stopping widespread copyright abuse
and infringement, although I don't make my money directly from the sale of
copyrighted materials.  The experience of Napster has frightened publishers
by its abuses of copyrighted materials and part of the drive to implement
digital rights management systems to encapsulate digital materials partly
derives from this experience.   What I am opposed to is extracting unfair
profits from the sale of copyrighted materials, especially overcharging for
them and underpaying the creators themselves.  How to define "unfair
profits" is, of course, not simple.

L.