[free-sklyarov] 20 July 2001, The Boston Globe, Page 1: Hacker's arrest decried

Michael C. Smith maxomai at aracnet.com
Fri Jul 20 08:54:10 PDT 2001

Something I found particularly interesting about this article:

"But at least one member of Congress doesn't think Sklyarov's actions should be illegal. ''I think there's a growing sense
that the legislation is overly broad,'' said Representative Rick Boucher, a Virginia Democrat. He says there are legitimate
reasons why an electronic book owner might wish to copy all or part of the text - to make a backup copy, or to include an
excerpt in some other document. This concept, called ''fair use,'' is well established in copyright law.

"Boucher fears the DMCA essentially eliminates fair use, by enabling publishers to lock up their materials so completely
that consumers won't be able to make legitimate copies."

We *can* change the minds of people in Congress. We just have to
keep screaming.

> http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/201/business/Hacker_s_arrest_decried+.shtml

Mike Smith