[free-sklyarov] Petitions Suggestions

Michael C. Smith maxomai at aracnet.com
Fri Jul 20 10:20:15 PDT 2001

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 11:50:47PM -0700, Will Doherty wrote:
> A well-worded petition could be helpful... let's be
> careful to select the right recipient and the right
> message.
>
> For example, should the recipient be Adobe or
> the US Attorney's office?

It should be the US Attourney's Office. Definitely.
Adobe has little power compared to John Ashcroft.

Although photocopies should go to the President,
and to Rep. Rick Boucher (D-VA) (which he can
then use to help his efforts to repeal DMCA.)

Photocopies should also be presented to the
Russian Consulate and the US attorneys handling
the case.

Although all the petitions should be addressed
to John Ashcroft, giving photocopies to these
parties let's them know that the pressure's on.

We should set a goal of collecting 100,000
signatures. Web based is good for this, but
also have physical signature collection going
on at the demonstrations.

I'm on a tight schedule so I'll let someone else
word the petition. But the basic message has to
be "stop prosecuting Dmitry and refrain from
other prosecutions of DMCA."

Hope this helps.

Mike Smith

----- End forwarded message -----