[free-sklyarov] Chants

Chris Savage chris.savage at crblaw.com
Fri Jul 20 11:37:57 PDT 2001

Hey Declan,

I think the problem here is linking the person arrested with the intra-US
conduct.

Let's assume that a programmer writes works for hire for the company for
whom he works.

Let's assume that the works are legal in the country where the programmer
works.

Let's assume that the company causes those works to be available in Country
X, where for some reason they are illegal.

The programmer has done nothing illegal that I can see.  The company has
acted legally in the place where it resides, but acted illegally in a
country to which its products got exported.

I'm not an expert on international law, but I don't see the liability of the
programmer here.

Chris S.

This electronic mail transmission may contain confidential or
privileged information.  If you believe that you have received the
message in error, please notify the sender by reply transmission
and delete the message without copying or disclosing it.