[free-sklyarov] Taking a step back.

Xcott Craver sacraver at EE.Princeton.EDU
Fri Jul 20 12:04:18 PDT 2001

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, <> wrote:

>            Half of the U.S. still thinks Russia is a super power that is
> here to destroy the U.S. you have to get through that twenty-year ideology
> and make people realize that this guy is not a spy, dirty diplomat, or
> illegal alien but someone who Mrs. Robinson would have over for dinner and
> apple pie and coffee the next day.

	Also, we will be up against some media mischaracterization of
	Dimtry as a hacker distributing WAR3Z, rather than a student,
	and whistleblower.

	Those of us who do encryption research are pretty familiar with
	snake-oil encryption products, but these particular products
	Dimitry exposed are way beyond run-of-the-mill crap.  I'm not
	exaggerating when I say that some of them use ciphers that
	grade school children wouldn't use to pass notes.  Combine that
	with multi-thousand-dollar price tags and you have to wonder why
	Adobe thought it was wise to get the attention of the Justice
	Department.

							-S