[free-sklyarov] Where EFF was at that time??? 8-O

Andrea andrea at gravitt.org
Fri Jul 20 12:39:02 PDT 2001

>Isn't it wiser not to have this laws, then to fight with their enforcement?
>People from other(!) countries put into prison because of not good work
>EFF with U.S. Senate. :(

EFF was there, and so were other organizations. But they were waved away
with "But we wouldn't do that to you, you are nice people." The RIAA even
tried this after they threatened the university professors with a lawsuit,
after they succeeded in preventing the presentation, they said "Oh, we
really didn't mean it!" Now they are trying to get EFF's case thrown out by
telling everyone what nice guys they are.

There was almost no public awareness that this was even under discussion.
The big corporations, with money to hire people to explain to Congress how
wonderful this will be for America and, by the way, their profits, were all
that our legislators heard.

In many ways, this has become the United States of Corporate America. Since
it takes money to hire lawyers and lobby Congress to get laws made, those
with money have much more power with the government.