[free-sklyarov] Adobe Will Talk! July 23 Sklyarov Protest on Hold

Eric Tully eric at tully.com
Fri Jul 20 13:31:39 PDT 2001

At 01:16 PM 7/20/01 -0700, Will Doherty wrote:

>Adobe only agreed to meet with us if we would put
>the Monday, July 23 protest on hold.

Well, that's a good reason to call the protests off.

But that's ONE reason to call them off and I've heard about six good
reasons to continue with them on Monday.  (Loss of credibility, loss of
momentum, possible smoke in the ass blowing from Adobe negotiators,
Non-good faith action on Adobe's part by filing a complaint in the first
place, not cancelling a real action on the basis of a *promise* of mere
*talks*, and not everyone was party to those negotiations you described.)

Adobe has already taken a very negative action by filing charges against
Sklyarov.  Our action was going to be a response to theirs.  The only thing
that should stop our action would be for them to reverse theirs.  They read
this list, it's not like they don't understand our position already.
They're just greedy.

I would expect a company concerned about their image to offer "talks" in
exchange for calling off protests.  Call me paranoid but I can easily
imagine some executive saying, "Sure, we'll meet with them if they call off
the protest.  Hell, it's just talk anyway.  Anything to break their
momentum and their credibility."

- Eric