DON'T HOLD OFF THE PROTESTS Re: [free-sklyarov] Adobe Will Talk! July 23 Sklyarov Protest on Hold

Paul Gowder paul at paultopia.net
Fri Jul 20 13:40:20 PDT 2001

DANGER

Will:  Get a Friday (today) or Saturday meeting, that way protests can
still go on as planned if they're just stonewalling.  Old corporate tactic
to throw a monkey wrench into organizing -- give 'em a meeting, make 'em
think it'll be negotiation, when it'll really just be a "therapy session"
(ie. they tell you how sorry they are you feel that way, and why there's
nothing they can do -- quite likely here, when there really is nothing, as
a technical legal matter, that Adobe can do), forestall actions, etc.
etc.  This is a well-known corporate trick.

Don't call off the protests.  Make 'em meet sooner and continue protest
planning until we get real results, not just a therapy session.

         -Paul

At 01:51 PM 7/20/01, Will Doherty wrote:
>Congratulations folks!
>
>The pressure we all have put on Adobe has resulted
>in an agreement to meet with representatives from
>the Electronic Frontier Foundation on this Monday
>morning, July 23.
>
>For that reason, EFF has decided to:
>
>PUT THE JULY 23 PROTEST ON HOLD
>
>Please help us act in good faith and postpone the
>protest until we have a chance to negotiate with
>Adobe.
>
>Of course, we can always rekindle the protest if
>Adobe does not agree to withdraw their complaint
>to the US Department of Justice regarding Dmitry
>Sklyarov and to refuse to pursue further prosecutions
>under the DMCA for cases that should be prevented
>under fair use provisions of US copyright law.
>
>And also, if the US Attorney's office insists
>on prosecuting Dmitry without a current complaint
>from Adobe, then we will continue protests directed
>at them rather than at Adobe.
>
>If you still feel that you have to protest on
>Monday, you are of course free to do so.
>However, it may be a more effective use of
>our collective energies to act in a coordinated
>way to get Dmitry out of jail.
>
>I am writing a media release to this effect as
>soon as I sent this email to you... wanted you
>all to know first.
>
>Free Dmitry,
>
>Will Doherty
>Online Activist / Media Relations
>Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF)
>Web http://www.eff.org
>
>Electronic Frontier Foundation - Protecting rights in the digital age
>-------

	-Paul Gowder

"It's because they're stupid. That's why everyone does everything."
     - Homer Simpson

	<paul at paultopia.net>