[free-sklyarov] EFF Meeting w/Adobe

Debian User mrmanley at home.com
Fri Jul 20 15:34:16 PDT 2001

I can already tell you what will come of this meeting: nothing.
And the EFF is quite aware of that fact.  I mean, really: what
do we expect Adobe to do?  I know what I'd *like* them to do --
I'd like them to apologize for siccing the feds on Dmitri, publicly
apologize for their part in this affair, and extract from them
a promise never to do this kind of thing again.

Ain't gonna happen, folks.  Adobe, like almost all other large
commercial software houses, will *never* give up on this point.
To them, it is tantamount to giving up on their business altogether.
Their interests are not the preservation of individual liberties
or basic human rights; their interests are gaining the fullest-
possible returns for their shareholders.

The meeting, for Adobe, will simply be a way to get out the party
line: they're just protecting their IP, they're on firm legal ground,
now fuck off and leave us alone.

Like most here I admire the EFF, but I really think they screwed up
here.  By letting Adobe dictate terms for the meeting they put
themselves in a position of weakness going forward, and that's not
a good thing to do in situations like this.  Further, they do not
appear to have extracted any discussion-points from Adobe -- if it
were me, I'd want to know that their public recantation was at least
on the table.

I say keep the heat on Adobe.

Regards,

Monty Manley