[free-sklyarov] Don't cry for Adobe

Douglas Barnes douglas at salguod.com
Sat Jul 21 08:44:49 PDT 2001

Bear in mind that this is not the first time that Adobe has been overly
aggressive in defending what it perceives as its intellectual property.
They're not some innocent pawn caught up in a process beyond their control;
once again they have consciously decided to stretch the laws and the legal
process to their limits in order to get their way.

Let me remind everyone of how they blanketed ISPs (including one where I was
working at the time) with frivolous lawsuits back in '96:
http://www.anu.edu.au/mail-archives/link/link9610/0088.html There's nothing
like having an unjustified lawsuit put in your hands to get your blood
boiling -- I can only imagine how Dmitry feels about this now.

Yes, one of the "real enemies" is the DMCA. But laws like the DMCA have come
about because of companies like Adobe. It's just as important to  bring
pressure to bear on the companies as it is to change the laws.

Cheers,

Doug