[free-sklyarov] Proposal to Free Dmitry, Freedom to Speech and make SW Innovations...

Arto Laitinen arto.laitinen at co.inet.fi
Sat Jul 21 05:53:51 PDT 2001

Hi all, I have thougth this very situation is dividing waters in that manner, what is the right to inspect and invent in SW field and on the other side, what is legal/illegal
to do if you have capabilities to crack (commercial) IT systems, maybe violating Copyright and stealing Intellectual Property, and how to protect future innovations.

Although I personally don´t like the way Dmitry were arrested, we also should notice the other sides of the story.

They at Adobe, as the inventors of the eBook system, want to protect their intellectual property and thus their business opportunities, no doubt in that...

And then we should consider about the copyright of the originator/owner of the contents, too. Who would publish or invent anything if the payment could be
circumvented?

And let's go to the situation, when FBI's arresting someone inventing the other route, to stop the obviously illegal manner of doing things. How could this be avoided in
the future...? And what was the failure of Dmitry´s case - he proved in public that commercial encryption/protection systems could be unharnessed in quite a simple
and nonexpensive way.

Stuck the original rabbit hole, whilst there are some other ones digging holes somewhere else, or doing co-operation with such a intelligent guy/institution to make the
system better against further intrusions...? Hey, that's the question!!

So, I make a proposal, how to solve this, other ongoing and future situations; someone found a way to decrypt or something like that, should first go to the
inventor/owner of that system, tell them how fragile it is and then also tell them, how to improve the system. There should be a substantial financial price to the 'rabbit
hole finder', not shoot or jail him. And thinking to protest against Adobe or thing like DMCA or makes me feel sick... No one should make the situation worse than it is,
so no striking, please.

This may sound day dreaming, but it clearly shows how everyone, both IP/copyrigh owner and the 'rabbit hole finder', and in long run, the consumer, could benefit...