[free-sklyarov] Re: Drive Adobe Nuts

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Sat Jul 21 16:10:16 PDT 2001

Pablos Kadrevis writes:

> [Spurious reports of piracy idea]
>
> Thanks for the idea.  This is a creative way to fight back on par with
> emailing your free Acrobat Reader binary back to Adobe's management,
> ripping the printscreen button fof your keyboard and mailing it to Adobe,
> and pingflooding their servers.

I actually think that second-to-last is very creative. :-)

But seriously, folks, if you want Adobe to listen to you, being a
sysadmin and telling them about your support for the boycott means so
much more than being a random person who can type random information
into a web form.  The higher the real information content that flows
to Adobe, the more attention they'll pay.

Anyone can make noise, but only a few people can play a symphony --
because symphonies are such a small proportion of the set of possible
sounds, and noise such an overwhelmingly large proportion.  When you
talk to Adobe, play a symphony.

(Actually, Dmitry Sklyarov's situation makes me think of Haydn's
_Missa in Angustiis_ Hob. XXII:11.  However...)

> Most of these ideas have been discussed and we passed because antagonizing
> Adobe doesn't come across as a plausibly effective means of activism.

Yes.  It can hardly be said often enough:

   PLEASE DO NOT HARASS ADOBE ON THE TELEPHONE OR SEND THEM ANY OTHER
   KIND OF HARASSING OR THREATENING COMMUNICATION! (The same goes for the
   U.S. Marshal Service, the U.S. Attorney's Office, and the U.S.
   District Court.) Of course, it is OK to send criticism to Adobe and to
   the U.S. Attorney. Let your criticism be civil and relevant.

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org>  | And do not say, I will study when I