[free-sklyarov] Legal technicality question

Izel Sulam izel at sulam.com
Sat Jul 21 19:42:57 PDT 2001

Sam Gray saint_sam at yahoo.com wrote:

>In other words, if I write my own
>software to rip the content from an eBook to exercise my fair use rights,
>can legal action be taken against me?  Or is it just when I try to tell
>someone else about it?

Not to be pedantic or anything, but if you never distribute any of your
knowledge, any software, any illegal copies of any so-called intellectual
property, etc, etc, who's going to know what you are doing in the sanctity
of your own home?

With that said, I believe that the criminal portions of DMCA apply
specifically to trafficking of circumvention devices. So you would be safe
from the Feds if you dabble in crypto in your spare time and get no one
else involved. Someone more knowledgeable than myself will have to address
the civil portions, whereby someone can sue you for damages, that sort of
thing, but no jailtime would be involved.

Standard disclaimer, IANAL. However, according to some guy who calls
himself Cousin Willy (who posted earlier) I am allegedly a Giant
Superbrain. Make of that what you will.

Thanks,
- izel