[free-sklyarov] Legal Question

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Sat Jul 21 19:48:03 PDT 2001

On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 02:11:29AM -0700, Jeanne A. E. DeVoto wrote:
> Only if these provisions of the DMCA are declared unconstitutional by a
> court which has jurisdiction meanwhile would it make a difference.

Right. And since the 2600 case and the Felten case are arising out of
different federal circuits, they're (for now) irrelevant in terms of
binding precedent. At the earliest -- and I welcome Jim to step in and
amplify this -- 2600 could go to the Supremes in the fall term, with a
decision by mid-2002. Though that would mean things moving mighty
quickly, and it could take another year or two without raising
eyebrows.

-Declan