[free-sklyarov] Protest strategy & goals

Seth Finkelstein sethf at sethf.com
Sat Jul 21 23:16:27 PDT 2001

Ethan Straffin wrote:
> His African-American boss, who supports the anchor, nevertheless
> delivers the following warning: "No rich young white guy has ever
> gotten anywhere with me comparing himself to Rosa Parks."
>
> I don't really agree with that stance; I think the argument transcends the
> arguer and don't believe in shooting the messenger.  It's just something
> to think about when making historical analogies, whether to WWII-era
> Germany or segregation-era Montgomery.

	With regard to Rosa Parks, I think it really helps
activists to know the history as opposed to the myth. Such as:

http://e-portals.org/Parks/

On December 1, 1955,  seamstress Rosa Parks changed
America forever when she was arrested for refusing to yield
her seat to a white patron on a Montgomery, Alabama city
bus. Mrs. Parks was found guilty of disorderly conduct and
that lead directly to the famous Montgomery Bus Boycott.
However, Mrs. Parks was not the "quiet seamstress" as the
media has often portrayed her. In 1943 she became a
member of the Montgomery chapter of the National
Association for the Advancement of Colored People
(NAACP), and she served as its secretary until 1956.

--
Seth Finkelstein  Consulting Programmer  sethf at sethf.com  http://sethf.com
http://www10.nytimes.com/2001/07/19/technology/circuits/19HACK.html