[free-sklyarov] Alan Cox reaction

Tom tom at lemuria.org
Sun Jul 22 02:54:54 PDT 2001

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 04:44:56AM -0400, Xcott Craver wrote:
> > alan's comments to usenix, however, made me wonder. I doubt that things
> > like this are very effective, but they certainly FEEL right.
>
> 	The problem is that other countries are next, with similar
> 	copyright laws.  You can't just flee the US and be safe.

I am already fighting the euro-DMCA locally, thank you.

> 	One other problem is that a "boycott" has to be noticeable,
> 	if only from a PR standpoint.  Americans have the funny
> 	tendency to be completely out of touch with the rest of the
> 	world; Canada could declare war on us and we wouldn't even
> 	notice.

"brain-drain" is an incredible PR opportunity. someone has already
turned down an adobe job offer. if we had someone else who refuses to
move to the states now as a result of this, and a few others who say
they had been contemplating it, but now they've changed their minds -
some journalist will make a story of it. ("high-tech minds abandoning
the USA after DMCA prosecution")

--
-- http://web.lemuria.org