[free-sklyarov] Alan Cox reaction

Xcott Craver sacraver at EE.Princeton.EDU
Sun Jul 22 03:08:19 PDT 2001

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Tom wrote:

> "brain-drain" is an incredible PR opportunity. someone has already
> turned down an adobe job offer. if we had someone else who refuses to
> move to the states now as a result of this, and a few others who say
> they had been contemplating it, but now they've changed their minds -
> some journalist will make a story of it. ("high-tech minds abandoning
> the USA after DMCA prosecution")

	What would be really, really nice, is if some country
	publicly announced that it would avoid such laws.  Brain-drain
	would be taken more seriously if some other country was
	actively enticing US talent away.

	Didn't Ireland once announce that it wouldn't restrict
	crypto back when the US was still trying to do so?  They've
	been trying for a while to attract programming talent, and
	now I think they're the #2 exporter of software worldwide.

							-S