[free-sklyarov] Alan Cox reaction

Andrew Lawrence ausage at ausage.com
Sun Jul 22 04:24:51 PDT 2001

On July 22, 2001 04:22 am, Tom wrote:
> a larger "boycot-dmca-country" activity might even be asked for. then
> again, I might just be overreacting.
>
> other non-us list-members, please share your thoughts on this one.

As I have stated earlier, I agree very much with this sentiment to the point
I have already started my own personal boycott of American companies...
taking the time Friday to explain to one supplier that while a few days
earlier I was quite eager to do business with them that now I am changing
suppliers because of the DMCA actions of the US gov't.

If US companies start losing business, especially those who deal in IP, then
the pressure will mount to get the DMCA changed.  It won't be fast enough to
get Dimitry out of jail, but it can help to change the law and prevent other
countries from implementing a DMCA.

I suggest, every time you go to buy something find out if it originates from
the USA. If it does - put it back on the shelf and tell the seller why you
wont buy it, then go home and write, phone or email the manufacturer /
producer and politely say, "Today I was going to buy your product XXX because
I though it was really good, but then I noticed that I comes from a country
that is persecuting foreigners and suppressing "Free Speech".

<OFF_TOPIC_RANT>
I find it very strange when the citizens of country that is so proud of its
"First Amendment" and the "Right of Free Speech" need to travel north, cross
the border and apply for "Political Asylum" here in Canada, as happened last
month. (see
http://www.eff.org/Legal/Cases/Scientology_cases/20010622_eff_henson_pr.html )
</OFF_TOPIC_RANT>