[free-sklyarov] Time to protest!!

Anders S. Buch abuch at math.mit.edu
Sun Jul 22 10:39:39 PDT 2001

Dear Colleagues,

I apologize for using these mailing lists for politics; however, I
think that an ongoing case is highly relevant for the future of
mathematics in the United States.

The Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) from 1998 makes it a crime
to "manufacture, import, offer to the public, provide, or otherwise
traffic in" devices which can be used to circumvent copyright
protection technology.

Why is this relevant to mathematicians?  Because mathematics is an
excellent tool for circumventing copy protection schemes, which are
usually based on encryption techniques.

It is NOT a mere matter of philosophy that the DMCA is threatening
mathematicians.  A team of cryptographers led by Professor Felten at
Princeton recently withdrew a planned talk (and proceedings paper) at
the 4th International Information Hiding Workshop in Pittsburgh after
being threatened with litigation under the DMCA by the Recording
Industry Association of America.
(See http://www.cs.princeton.edu/sip/sdmi/)

Even more frightening, last Monday Ph.D. student Dmitry Sklyarov from
the Computer Science Department at Moscow University was arrested
after giving his talk "eBook Security: Theory and practice" at the
DefCon conference in Las Vegas.  Sklyarov is accused of giving this
talk and for writing a program which breaks the encryption of Adobe
e-books.  His work on e-book security is part of his
Ph.D. dissertation.
(See http://www.freesklyarov.org/ and http://www.boycottadobe.org/)

Tomorrow, Monday 7/23, protests are planned in several major US
cities, including Boston.  The protest in Boston will start at 12:00
noon, the meeting place is outside the Park Street Station exit.  See
http://freesklyarov.org/boston/ for more information.  I will be
there, and I strongly encourage any of you who agree that the DMCA is
an unfortunate law to come as well!!

Here are some more reasons why the DMCA is bad for mathematics:

1) The DMCA challenges our right to publish our work.  Suppose you did
   the impossible and found and published an easy way to break RSA
   encryption.  This would likely land you a few offers of chair
   positions at top universities.  However, if just one company has
   used RSA in a copy-protection scheme, then your discovery would be
   a circumvention tool, and you might end up in prison.  Insane???

2) Mathematics in the US benefits from being able to attract the best
   people from all over the world with a high academic level and an
   advantageous economy.  However, after the recent arrest of
   Sklyarov, cryptographers might want to think twice before coming to
   the US.  Alan Cox (UK), the top Linux kernel programmer after Linus
   Torvalds, has recently resigned from the Usenix committee, citing
   that Usenix meetings take place in the US which is no longer a safe
   place for foreign programmers.
   (See http://lwn.net/daily/alan-quits-als.php3)

3) The DMCA is also a tool that publishers could use to make access to
   electronic Mathematics journals even tighter than it is now.  The
   very program that Sklyarov is accused of defeating, Adobe eBook
   Reader, only allows the owner of an eBook to read his book on the
   screen of the computer he purchased it from.  It is not possible to
   make printouts, backup copies, move the book to a laptop,
   etc. without first breaking the security (Rot-13!!) of Adobe's
   program.  And the DMCA makes this illegal.

I hope to see a lot of you tomorrow, outside Park Street Station at
12:00 noon!!!

Sincerely, Anders Buch