[free-sklyarov] Legal technicality question

Seth Finkelstein sethf at sethf.com
Sun Jul 22 11:55:00 PDT 2001

Dave Sherohman wrote:
> IANAL, etc, but my understanding is that, while they couldn't manage to
> ban the _use_ of a circumvention device, creation or aquisition of a
> circumvention device were both banned.  So you're perfectly free to use
> such a program, but you can't get one without violating DMCA.

	IANAL either, but please examine the text of

Sec. 1201. Circumvention of copyright protection systems

 (a) Violations Regarding Circumvention of Technological Measures.
  - (1)(A) No person shall circumvent a technological measure that
effectively controls access to a work protected under this title.

[then goes into modifications, additional offenses, defenses, etc.]

--
Seth Finkelstein  Consulting Programmer  sethf at sethf.com  http://sethf.com
http://www10.nytimes.com/2001/07/19/technology/circuits/19HACK.html