[free-sklyarov] Legal technicality question

Ryan Waldron rew at erebor.com
Sun Jul 22 12:20:29 PDT 2001

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, someone wrote:

> > IANAL, etc, but my understanding is that, while they couldn't
> > manage to ban the _use_ of a circumvention device, creation or
> > aquisition of a circumvention device were both banned.  So you're
> > perfectly free to use such a program, but you can't get one
> > without violating DMCA.

BTW, for those of you familiar with the gun control efforts underway
in the U.S., this was precisely the method used to limit access to
high-capacity clips (for rifles as well as handguns).  It's legal, for
instance, for me to OWN a 25-round clip for my .22 target rifle, but
not for me to manufacture one for sale.

This is an early step in a coherent and planned strategy for
ultimately removing general access to weapons by the general public.

Identically, the DMCA is an early step in a coherent and planned first
step toward removing ALL non-free usage events (i.e., each single
reading or viewing or listening of any multimedia object, will be
charged separately) from the general public.

Whether or not you agree with gun control, the parallels are
interesting (to me, anyway).

Ryan Waldron    |||   http://www.erebor.com    |||    rew at erebor.com

"The web goes ever, ever on, down from the site where it began..."