[free-sklyarov] An Alternative Line of Argumentation

Jay Sulzberger jays at panix.com
Sun Jul 22 13:12:31 PDT 2001

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Seth David Schoen wrote:

> Izel Sulam writes:
>
> > I would like to repeat very strongly what my suggestions are for statements
> > to the press tomorrow. Statements to the press should stress that this is a
> > consumer rights issue. Adobe makes a very expensive line of crypto
> > products, and claims that these are secure, and they are not, and this is a
> > fraud and a sham, and Dmitry Sklyarov brought this to the attention of the
> > world, and now Adobe is getting him illegally arrested rather than
> > imporving their products.
>
> However, "improving" their products would harm consumer rights even
> more.  Consumers aren't the ones who want "security" that tries to
> prevent ordinary uses of digital media.
>
> --
> Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org>  | And do not say, I will study when I

Sometimes companies do not correctly estimate the best way to make money.
I believe that by clearly arranging to make it easy for buyers of books to
exercise the traditional rights of fair use, Adobe will make more money.
Means of preventing mass distribution of works the copyright holder does
not want distributed are already available, and so far as we can see,
effective.  Napster is closed.  We need not accept that Adobe's interests
require an end to fair use.  We might put some effort to presenting other
strategems of commerce to Adobe.

oo--JS.