[free-sklyarov] An Alternative Line of Argumentation

Jay Sulzberger jays at panix.com
Sun Jul 22 13:56:27 PDT 2001

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001 harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu wrote:

> |Sometimes companies do not correctly estimate the best way to make money.
> |I believe that by clearly arranging to make it easy for buyers of books to
> |exercise the traditional rights of fair use, Adobe will make more money.
> |Means of preventing mass distribution of works the copyright holder does
> |not want distributed are already available, and so far as we can see,
> |effective.  Napster is closed.  We need not accept that Adobe's interests
> |require an end to fair use.  We might put some effort to presenting other
> |strategems of commerce to Adobe.
> |

> i really dont think you can call the closing of nampster effective. sure
> their number of users has dropped, but that doesnt mean that the people
> are not still getting the copyrighted materials. napster went down and
> many others poped up in its place. it's going to become a game of wack the
> mole pretty soon.
>

> john

I believe that ordinary non-DMCA means will whack enough moles fast enough
that no massive copyright violating system such as Napster will survive.
There is a danger that the Copyright Englobulators of Earth will succeed
in outlawing encrypted packets at the ISP and backbone level.  Indeed that
is the main danger here.  But I think we can keep encrypted packets
allowed, and still make it possible to suppress such things as Napster.
This is a large subject which I shall not write much on here.

oo--JS.