[free-sklyarov] Time of Adobe/EFF meeting?

Jay Sulzberger jays at panix.com
Sun Jul 22 16:10:46 PDT 2001

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Paul Gowder wrote:

> >It could easily be 1, whether planned by the EFF or no.  No very subtle
> >tactic, just the standard, almost necessary for structural reasons, tactic
> >of:
> >
> >The more middle of the road reformer/revolutionaries are inside negotating
> >with the oppressors while outside the crazies can barely be held in check.
> >
> >oo--JS.
>

> The problem with good cop/bad cop is that the bad cop has to be involved in
> the planning too.  Otherwise (s)he might listen.  There will be a lot less
> crazies running about outside, now that the EFF has publicly put its
> credibility behind the idea of "negotiating" with Adobe.

Well, the automatic "structural" tactic I have in mind has the advantage
that no coordination is required.  The crazies will do what they will.
That is, the only way Adobe gets off is to get Dmitry out.  "good cop-bad
cop" is just the vulgar conscious directed version of the deeper and more
real "responsible-crazy" sub-correlation of forces.

> I don't think the EFF realizes what it takes to get an action going.  The
> fact that I, for example, called a friend in Seattle (and a veteran of the
> WTO wars) and asked him to try and turn out people for Seattle, would be
> damaging to _me_ and my friend if Seattle had agreed to delay like Portland
> did.
>
> I did call Will, and heard only "trust me."  Well, sorry, but I don't --
> not without a convincing explanation.
>
>          -Paul

My estimate is that the EFF call to hold off on Monday's protests had
almost no effect.  I have seen few people declare that now they will not
protest on Monday.

oo--JS.