[free-sklyarov] The American Association of Publishers issues a press release

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Sun Jul 22 16:22:25 PDT 2001

Derek Balling writes:

> At 6:48 PM -0700 7/22/01, Doug Lay wrote:
> >I notice that the Association for Computing Machinery and the IEEE are also
> >listed as AAP members.
>
> Just sent to <acmhelp at acm.org>, their member services e-mail address:
>
> To: acmhelp at acm.org
> From: Derek Balling <dredd at megacity.org>
> Subject: ACM and the AAP
>
> I notice, with some horror, that the ACM is a member of the
> Association of American Publishers, as noted at:
>      http://www.publishers.org/home/abouta/members.htm
>
> The AAP has come out in favor of Adobe's request to the FBI (and the
> FBI's fulfillment of that request) to have a Russian programmer,
> Dmitry Sklyarov,  arrested and imprisoned for writing and selling
> software while in his native Russia. That's all it is. They're
> confusing the issue by bringing up the DMCA, but it doesn't apply as
> no act was committed on US soil.
>      http://www.publishers.org/home/press/index.htm

I wrote to Dr. Barbara Simons, who has been ACM President and a
long-time DMCA opponent, to let her know and ask her to spread the
word.

It is _abundantly_ clear that the ACM oppose the DMCA, and has been
working hard against it.

http://www.acm.org/usacm/copyright/

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org>  | And do not say, I will study when I