[free-sklyarov] locking up books

Julian T. J. Midgley free-sklyarov at effector.xenoclast.org
Sun Jul 22 19:50:56 PDT 2001

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Paul Gowder wrote:

> At some point soon, one expects (by "one" here I of course mean "me") M$ or
> someone to come out with some technology to at least disable screen capture
> for DRM docs.  One imagines (see previous parenthetical) that as trivial,
> especially in active-x land.

Then someone builds a device which takes the SVGA output from your machine
in place of a monitor, and performs OCR on the output directly.  Then all
monitors have built in hardware to decrypt at the last instance, so you
stick a video camera in front of the monitor, and perform OCR on the
output of that...

So long as the output is human readable, it will be computer readable, and
protection mechanisms will fail...

Julian Midgley

--
Julian T. J. Midgley                    http://www.xenoclast.org
Cambridge, England.                       PGP Key ID: 0xBCC7863F