correction/audio Re: [free-sklyarov] Pronunciation of Dmitry's name.

Alex Fabrikant alexf at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Jul 23 04:07:07 PDT 2001

I stuck up a couple of sound clips of the exact russian pronounciations at
http://csua.berkeley.edu/~alexf/sklyarov/. See my comments on Nick's
recommendations for simplified pronounciation below:

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Nick Moffitt wrote:
> Begin C. Scott Ananian quotation:
> > Can one of the Russians on the list record an audio file with the
> > definitive pronunciation of Dmitry's name?  I'd like to make sure all of
> > us don't massacre it when we give press interviews tomorrow.  Thanks!
>
> 	I don't have appropriate recording equipment, but it is
> pronounced sklee-YA-rohv
>
> 	sklee as in "ski" with an L thrown in.
> 	YA as in the German word for "yes" (spelled "ja").
> 	rov with the o as in "offer".
>
> 	Proper Russians will not pronounce the "ee" in the "sklee"
> syllable, but will instead soften the l in a manner that is difficult
> to describe in English e-mail.  However, it is good enough for
> Americans to pronounce it as three syllables.

If you use the three-syllable approximation as Nick [reasonably] suggests,
don't pronounce the "y"/"j" in "ya" -- just sklee-A-rohff (the same A
sound as you find in german "Ja" [for "yes"]), otherwise it sounds
virtually unrecognizable. Also, note "-ff" instead of "-v" ending --
native pronounciation would almost definitely put a voiceless sound
there. To follow Nick's example, it's just "off" as in "offer"...

--
-alexf, the last russian native speaker to go to sleep in PDT and still
hope to wake up in time for the SJ protest

P.S. M4D PR0P5 2 4LL MY H0M13Z who turned out for the sign-making
event and stayed for nearly 12 hours to make a bunch of great signs. See
yall out there tomorrow.

P.P.S. To translate into normative English for those not bilingual in
1335SP34K, the above roughly translates to "I kindly acknowledge my
esteemed fellow colleagues who..."