correction/audio Re: [free-sklyarov] Pronunciation of Dmitry's name.

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Mon Jul 23 05:10:16 PDT 2001

Anatoly Vorobey writes:

> You, Alex Fabrikant, were spotted writing this on Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 04:07:07AM -0700:
> > I stuck up a couple of sound clips of the exact russian pronounciations at
> > http://csua.berkeley.edu/~alexf/sklyarov/. See my comments on Nick's
> > recommendations for simplified pronounciation below:
>
> It might not be immediately obvious to Americans that "Dima" is a shorter,
> informal version of "Dmitri" (like e.g. Dick/Richard). You might want,
> perhaps, to change the second clip from "svobodu Dime" (freedom to Dima) into
> "svobodu Dmitriyu" or "osvobodite Dmitriya" (free Dmitri)?

I was present and worked on this with Alex (I'm not a Russian speaker)
and it was clear to me that non-Russians will just _ask you to
translate_ and not actually try to parse the Russian text.  Every
non-Russian who saw or heard the "svobodu Dime" simply asked what it
meant and was content with the answer.

Plus, you can't change that slogan now!  I've already learned to
pronounce it! :-)

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> | Its really terrible when FBI arrested
Temp.  http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/ | hacker, who visited USA with peacefull