[free-sklyarov] A Few Words in the Aftermath

Izel Sulam izel at sulam.com
Mon Jul 23 17:18:27 PDT 2001

First I would like to say, congratulations everyone!

I would especially like to thank the members of the EFF who were
involved in today's negotiations, and the hundreds of people who
put their efforts somehow or another into today's one of 20+
rallies all over the world.

We made Adobe look like a sore loser, an incompetent software
peddler, and a jackbooted thug (all three of which it truly is)
and Adobe management had no choice but to cave in, in order to
watch out for its enlightened self-interest.

Do not be misled. This is not Adobe doing the right thing. This is
Adobe going into damage control mode in the only way possible
given the current conditions.

Current management is obviously no match for the recently retired
CEO John Warnock, who would never have allowed events to escalate
to this ridiculous point at the expense of Adobe's reputation and
the goodwill of his customers. Current management has slaughtered
the man's legacy, a legacy that took many many years to build.
With that said, current management does not consist of idiots
either, and they are trying to spin this situation in the best way
possible and trying to survive. They did what they had to do and
they had to say what they had to say. A bonus side effect of what
they did and said is that the DOJ has lost its key witness in
prosecuting Dmitry (making it very likely that the man will go
free any day now) and also that Adobe is not likely to abuse the
DMCA in this manner anytime soon.

This is a victory in a small battle, but the war is far from over.
The war will be wrought in the days after Dmitry's release, over
the DMCA itself.

Once again, congratulations everyone, and thanks.
- izel