[free-sklyarov] Re: eBooks and the blind.

Roger Sperberg rsperberg at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 23 16:45:46 PDT 2001

If you have a text-to-speech engine installed in your computer, it works
with version 2 of the Adobe eBook Reader. The Reader itself only claims to
provide Read Aloud features with Win2000, but I have Win 98 on one computer
with the free TTS engine available at Microsoft and the feature works fine
there.

This is the first free Reader that includes TTS capabilities for eBooks (and
all PDFs, which the eBook Reader will render -- and read aloud-- too). The
eBook Reader is currently available only on the Windows platform.

Note that any eBooks issued before last fall did not have the possibility of
setting the Read Aloud feature to Yes, and they default to No (not allowed),
so as not to inadvertently conflict with a publisher's having sold the audio
rights to a title to another publisher. In English: the eBooks only have
Read Aloud permissions if the publisher explicitly set it that way.

Roger Sperberg