[free-sklyarov] A Few Words in the Aftermath

Andrew Lawrence ausage at ausage.com
Mon Jul 23 18:21:24 PDT 2001

On July 23, 2001 08:37 pm, Andrea wrote:
> Now to celebrate and rest and start up for the real fight: the DMCA. Our
> Russian friend is not out of jail yet, although the case against him has
> lost it's star witness. But as long as the DMCA is still law in the US,
> this will happen again.

Yes!!! Adobe ducked, but they haven't caved.  Reading the press release
carefully, Colleen Pouliot is saying that it's OK to let Dimitry go now
because ElcomSoft has stopped selling the Advanced eBook Processor. This
implies that the case never was about prosecuting a "criminal" but rather
pressuring another company.

The press release says, "Adobe is also withdrawing its support for the
criminal complaint against Dimitry Sklyarov."  For me, that's a very good
start, but not enough.  If they ever expect so see a dime of my money; if
they want me to refrain from "dis'ing 'em" whenever their products are
discussed; if they want to stop me from asking embarrasing questions whenever
the demo the lastest and greatest to the professional developer in town; then
they need to do much more.

Until Adobe says, "We were wrong, we made a mistake, the EFF is right.
We will fully support the fight to free Dimitry AND to repeal the DMCA, both
morally and financially" I will not use their products op do business with
them and will strive to the best of my abilities to convince other to do
likewise.

--
Ausage