[free-sklyarov] A Few Words in the Aftermath

Klepht klepht at eleutheria.org
Mon Jul 23 18:42:53 PDT 2001

    A> Now to celebrate and rest and start up for the real fight: the
    A> DMCA. Our Russian friend is not out of jail yet, although the
    A> case against him has lost it's star witness. But as long as the
    A> DMCA is still law in the US, this will happen again.

    A> I hope that many people will at minimum stay subscribed to the
    A> announcements list. There is still a lot of work to be
    A> done. This effort is practically instant gratification by
    A> comparison.

Oh my goodness! I'd be greatly surprised if people start unsubbing
from this list. It'd be a mistake to think that the recent radio
silence here was due to lack of interest rather than brutalized inodes
on zork.net.

If it's not clear that Dmitry is not yet out of jail: Dmitry is not
yet out of jail! Declaring total victory and walking away, or
concentrating on other fights, would be premature in the extreme!

*I'm* starting to wonder what our next move is. Paranoid as I am, I
keep coming back to the thought that this PR is tactical by Adobe to
keep protest stories off the local TV news. With luck, they'll stick
to their agreement and make whatever communications are necessary with
the DoJ to show their lack of support.

But even if Adobe is out of the picture (yay! One front to fight on),
we still have to get Dmitry out of jail. I think one of the reasons
that we took on Adobe so early here is that they are the weakest link
and have the most to luse from bad publicity (which is one of the few
things we can dish out in large quantities).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that maybe we should not be
premature in packing up the tents and going home.

~Klepht

klepht at eleutheria.org
http://www.eleutheria.org/