[free-sklyarov] any New York action planned?

mike castleman mlc67 at columbia.edu
Tue Jul 24 00:03:18 PDT 2001

A friend of mine tells the following anecdote. I believe that it's
basically true, though I've never tried to verify it and some of the
details are probably off.

Brown University in Providence, RI, US is famous for its essentially
requirement-free curriculum. (i.e., you can take basically whatever
courses you want, except of course for those courses needed for your
major.) When the student who came up with this idea first had it, he
decided he was going to have a rally every Friday to push for it. The
first week he had it, only a few of his friends showed up. The next week,
there were like 10 people there, and so on until the rally had grown to
the point where thousands of people were showing up and the administration
could no longer ignore them. Thus, the genesis of Brown's free-choice
curriculum.

The point is, doing the same thing every week, while it may sometimes get
"stale", can be incredibly effective.

mike

// mike castleman, mlc67 at columbia.edu
// cell: +1 (646) 382-7220
// "facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - aldous huxley