[free-sklyarov] Is he being held in solitary?

Ryan Marsh me at ryanmarsh.com
Mon Jul 23 22:18:51 PDT 2001

Actually, you hope not. Solitary is worse than being with the general
population. It's very depressing and will drive you mad. Typically in a
count/city jail while awaiting trial the population is well segregated
by offense type and violence is no where near what goes on in a
penitentary.

Usually though the first 24 to 48 hours (somtimes longer, things can be
so arbitrary) you are on what's considered "suicide watch". You dont
have a blanket to hang yourself with, you dont have a toothbrush, you
don't have a pillow with which to choke yourself on (yes, it happens)
and you are only let out of your cell for about an hour a day to eat and
get/do your laundry.

Of course I'm basing this off of one states prison system, I'm not sure
if CA.'s follow the same routine.