[free-sklyarov] Boycott Adobe at least until Sklyarov is free.

Marvin marvin at qubit.computershop.calgary.ab.ca
Tue Jul 24 00:59:30 PDT 2001

(IANAL but),

I note that Adobe has promised to withdraw their complaint.  So they
realize a PR error, but <wink> <wink> to the FBI, or rather the Justice
Department, it isn't under their control anymore.  It's an empty gesture.

I noticed someone posting here about how at least Adobe won't be a witness
for the prosecution any more.  Well, if it goes ahead, I am sure they will
be called to the stand with "didn't you say... etc." and their testimony
will be almost as damning as if they weren't forced into pretending to
have reversed their position.  And remember, people are called to the
stand as individuals, not as entire companies.

Seems to me there are sufficient technical reasons why Sklyarov shouldn't
have been the one arrested. These technical reasons will prevail in the
courtroom just as well with or without Adobe's support.

If Adobe were sincere they would start offering recompense for the trouble
they caused, and show some backing down about the beauty of the DMCA
itself.

I say, that just because they grudgingly withdraw their complaint
conceding only technical grounds, and partly on forgiveness grounds, it
has no net benefit for Sklyarov that wouldn't have be obvious anyway.
Sure, it's a moral victory to see them grovel, and congratulations to the
EFF, but it doesn't cost Adobe anything, whereas Adobe has done tremendous
harm to others, and promises to keep doing so.

So just as Adobe can say that it has no control over what the Justice
department will do from here on in, so also the EFF can't prevent us all
from continuing to organize a boycott of Adobe.  I'll never forget what
they have done, whatever happens.  I'll organize against Adobe, at least
until Sklyarov is actually released AND compensated.  And the motivations
will have to be visibly honest, a result of a change of heart, not just an
escape from pressure.  In fact, so long as I don't perceive a change of
heart on Adobe's side, it doesn't matter to me what they are grudgingly
forced to do for PR reasons, then for so long will I continue to work for
their demise.

Austin Hook
Calgary