[free-sklyarov] RE: free-sklyarov digest, Vol 1 #119 - 14 msgs

George Molson georgemolson at home.com
Tue Jul 24 11:52:10 PDT 2001

I like Hynek's idea because it legitimizes the storage of the data, but it
would also be good to distribute the application (or the specific algorithm
that performs the decryption) kind of like a lot of people did with DeCSS.
If we could reduce the algorithm to even 80-100 lines of code (RSA
decryption algorithm can be reduced to 4 in PERL) we could put it on
t-shirts. I have root access to some servers I administer- I could host
sources / binaries on multiple FTP's & the Gnutella network in the event
that sklyarov does get persecuted. On the one hand I don't want to prevent
his company from making $ from this application, but if it is deemed illegal
to sell / distribute the application it would give us leverage to a)
denigrate the Adobe standard b) Increase awareness of what has happened by
posting information on a decryption utility that uses the algorithm c)
Exercise our right to study and understand different security technologies.

Please tell me what you think. If you have copies of the application, you
can upload them to. I would like to use them only in the event that the
technology is deemed illegal to sell / distribute. ftp://24.112.64.210
Paradigm