[free-sklyarov] A view from EFF (was Thank You All!)

Henry Schwan owlswan at eff.org
Tue Jul 24 09:42:09 PDT 2001

In the letter Shari Steele wrote to Adobe setting up the negotiations we
were clear that we couldn't control the protest.  We then proceeded to act
in good faith, as we attempt to do at all times with all concerned, which
is why we have a reasonable reputation.  At the point we pulled out, if
that was what it was, we changed our website, I being one of the people
who spent most of the day making multiple revisions to the site,
transferred the rideboard code we were hosting as we divested, which was
as much as we could do without crossing the line, and proceeded to prepare
for negotiations.  I can't even tell you about the internal discussion,
but there was lots, and most, if not all of us were very torn.  It would
have been much more exciting from a certain standpoint to just go to the
rally and build it to a bigger size.  But would it have helped Dmitry?  He
is still not out of jail, but he is one step closer.  Whether we worked
together or not the effect was the same, and I don't think anyone at EFF
is taking credit for everything that happened.

> the problem arose when the EFF tried to do something that it didn't have
> the authority to do, which was, "PUT THE JULY 23 PROTESTS ON HOLD."
>
> We -- and the EFF -- are fortunate that their Monday meeting with Adobe
> produced results.  The alternative would have meant a significant loss of
> face for the EFF.  Perhaps they had some advance knowledge that this was
> the likely outcome.  But with the news coverage in several venues that the
> EFF was "calling off the protests," they ran the immediate risk of sapping
> crucial strength away from the protests.  As you and Robin point out, it's
> a good thing this call was ignored.
>
> It's one thing for the EFF to choose not to participate in protests, and
> another thing entirely to try to "call the protests off."

> - Paul

This is what we had to do to get through the door, no more no less, and in
doing so we acted in good faith with Adobe.  It was very difficult to act
in good faith with both sides, but I don't think we did a bad job.

--
Regards,

Henry Schwan
Paralegal