[free-sklyarov] Better crypto for eBooks?

Marvin marvin at qubit.computershop.calgary.ab.ca
Tue Jul 24 10:41:18 PDT 2001

Perhaps I am not imaginative enough, but if it's on my own general purpose
computer, I can't see how any eBook kind of coding could prevent the use
of generalized tools evolving to rip the contents right off the screen it
is being viewed on. Maybe, some interactive media could be devised that
doesn't always have the same response, but how could an passive eBook fail
to be vulnerable -- not even to specialized hacks, but just to generalized
screen capture tools?  The only hope for even temporary copy protection is
a continuous change in the methodology of obfuscating the source.

It seems to me that eBook publishers should plan, in the long run, to
forget about using the FBI to enforce copy protection and use them only to
enforce significant violations of copyright after the fact.  And in as
much as that latter is becoming impossible, realize that their model for
making money is impossible without results that are destructive for
society.

Acceptable methods are: creating a sense of honor and pride in having an
authorized copy.  Add to that the sending out of some physical token of
thanks (sticker, badge, a "thank you" coin, or tiny hologram) from the
author and publisher for paying the license. A cryptographically signed
jpeg of the author expressing personal thanks to that particular
subscriber would also work.  However it happens, copy protection by
treating the customer as a would be criminal will only create endless
turmoil and resentment.  You'll need more and more Draconian laws to keep
the method alive.  Treat the customer with respect, esteem, and as the
hero without which artistic creativity would have no audience -- that is
the only future for eBooks.  Your dream of how crypto can work is flawed,
because you are only trying to use it to enforce old paradigms. The new
technology has it's own social implications.  Just like you can't analyze
quantum mechanics with classical principles, old view points just have to
really change; and you can't legislate your way back to the past.

Austin Hook
Calgary