[free-sklyarov] Interesting that NPR...

Xcott Craver sacraver at EE.Princeton.EDU
Tue Jul 24 11:58:09 PDT 2001

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Derek Balling wrote:

> Generally speaking, though, the term "academic" (as a noun) is
> usually used to refer to people employed in higher education, not
> those who are "merely students".

	Ph.D. students usually _are_ employed in higher education.
	And many are only a mild conceptual shift (and 3 letters)
	away from professors themselves.  They do the same research
	as professors and they often teach classes too.

	We may work internships or other jobs to add to the resume
	or make a sane salary for a few months out of the year.  That
	shouldn't change one's status as a Ph.D. candidate, however.

	Speaking as a Ph.D. candidate myself, I would certainly call
	other Ph.D. candidates "academics."  People rarely stay in
	school that long for other than academic reasons.

> D

More information about the Free-sklyarov mailing list