[free-sklyarov] Better crypto for eBooks?

Tony Abou-Assaleh tabouass at math.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Jul 24 13:22:23 PDT 2001

> > > The application refuses to send the (still encrypted) data to any driver
> > > that it can't verify as also being S.A.P.-compliant.
> >
> > If the audio is still encrypted, why does the driver care who it passes it
> > to, since only the speakers can presumably decrypt it?
> nad placing a nice microphone in front of speakers totally kills this scheme
> :)
Do you realize that you have just exposed a weakness in the new copyright
protection scheme? And that you may not manufacture/sell microphones
because you'd be violating DMCA!

I'm not sure how liable you are here, but this is a good analogy to
pose some questions:
* Are ideas like this one violate DMCA?
* What if you use it?
* What if someone else uses it, you're still the violator?
* If I decide to send you some money for your idea, will you be liable
them?
* Or do you have to ask me for money first?
etc. ..

In short, it appears that individually, these actions are legal, but when
they are put in a particular sequence they are not. A sequence of
legitimate action may result in law violations. Sounds ridiculous.

TAA

Tony Abou-Assaleh
Graduate Student, Department of Computer Science
University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON, Canada, N2L 3G1
Office:  DC2503
Phone:   (519) 888-4567 Ext. 3399
Email:   taa at acm.org