[free-sklyarov] Better crypto for eBooks?

Christopher R. Maden crism at maden.org
Tue Jul 24 14:49:08 PDT 2001

At 10:41 24-07-2001, Marvin wrote:
>Perhaps I am not imaginative enough, but if it's on my own general purpose
>computer, I can't see how any eBook kind of coding could prevent the use
>of generalized tools evolving to rip the contents right off the screen it
>is being viewed on.

You're absolutely right.  Information is unlike a physical artifact in that
when you give it to someone, you instantly create a copy, rather than
transferring it.

In terms of digital information, the only secure form of an ebook is a
handheld device, like the Rocket eBook (or the other things now from
Gemstar).  You can use private-key encryption with the private key burned
into the hardware of the physical device, with no means of transferring
content from the device to another computer.

However, even then, the information in visual and semantic form is being
output by the screen.  The ebook can be laboriously scanned, one page at a
time, or just transcribed by a typist.  Most of the pirated books on USENET
are print-only bestsellers, like Harry Potter or Stephen King
books.  Someone took the time to convert those.

If you give information to a user, you're giving them the ability (if not
the right) to re-use that information.  Intellectual property law needs to
be re-thought, taking this into account, within the next five years, or de
facto there will be no restrictions on copying at all and many artists will
find it difficult to work for their art full-time.

-crism
--
"You will find that the State is the kind of organization which, though
it does big things badly, does small things badly too." - J.K. Galbraith