[free-sklyarov] Generic reply to the "break into your house" comments

mickey mickeym at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 24 15:15:42 PDT 2001

I know we've heard the same arguments over and over, here is my reply to this
one:

"This same individual would be outraged if someone broke into his home
and stole his TV set."

Yes, as would anyone. Yet, your example isn't complete. It's not what is
at issue. Consider the case where you have left your keys on the coffee
table. Is it illegal for you to break in to your own house? That's what
people mean by "fair use." Gaining access to something I already own,
such as my (paid for) copy of a copyrighted work, should not be seen as
bad. Why should printing an eBook to read offline, or transferring an
eBook to use on my second PC be seen as illegal?

Granted, there is a fear about what some people might do next, like
upload a work to the net, but that is already illegal. The programmer of
the tools, however, should not be liable for what another person does
with them.

mickeym