[free-sklyarov] He's free.... (fwd)

Sonia Arana spider at sneakybastard.com
Tue Jul 24 15:37:40 PDT 2001

Dan is now less clueless.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 24 Jul 2001 22:28:10 -0000
From: dan at reed.nu
To: spider at sneakybastard.com
Subject: Re: [free-sklyarov] He's free.... (fwd)

Thanks Sonia for your prompt reply.

I guess the idea that there are tools in my home that can be used for legal and
illegal uses makes the most sense in understanding the arguments here.
Everything from cd burners to bongs are sold legally with the express intent
being legal uses.

If I were an eBook author, I would not want to learn the security I presumed
would protect my copywrite-protected material was flawed.

However..I also don't respect the argument of the lowest common denominator
being the law when it comes to borderless commerce through the internet. Being
legal in Russia means little to me. His customers are in the US from what I
have read, as are many of the authors.

To play along with the home analogy, if someone pointed out to me how my home
security was flawed, I would thank them and demand attention from the security
company that sold me the flawed system (which, I assume, was the first thing
Mr. Sklyarov did upon making his discovery). Had he told others of my flawed
home security, how to get into my home and then helped someone else manufacture
and sell a master key to anyone wanting to enter my home, then I would want him
held accountable for damages. (I think) :)  Pointing out is different from
acting upon.

The fact that anybody with a basic understanding of cryptography can break it
is different than actually having many different people break the product's
security. However, I do say shout it from the rooftops if you discover a flaw,
yet don't undercut commerce, don't steal, have a conscious. I don't like people
who steal (in case you hadn't noticed). Its a Jungian shadow thing from
childhood.

It's difficult to seperate the man from the company for me with this scenario.
It's difficult to discern intentions.

While you may want to scream it's irrelevant, I can't help but
ask, "Aren't 'denial of service' attacks or e-mail viruses other forms of
letting people know there are security flaws?"

Anyway, thanks for your input. I appreciate your using the term prosecute
instead of persecute. And I hope you can rally the support you have harnessed
for some other 'good deeds' too. (or at least deeds I think are good!)

Dan
Seattle

--
Get your firstname at lastname email for FREE at http://Nameplanet.com/?su