[free-sklyarov] Generic reply to the "break into your house" comments

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Tue Jul 24 15:51:40 PDT 2001

mickey writes:

> "This same individual would be outraged if someone broke into his home
> and stole his TV set."
>
> Yes, as would anyone. Yet, your example isn't complete. It's not what is
> at issue. Consider the case where you have left your keys on the coffee
> table. Is it illegal for you to break in to your own house? That's what
> people mean by "fair use."

No it isn't.  (Also, there's the distinction between fair uses and
noninfringing uses in general.  How do we know which of these "breaking
into your own house" would be?)

> Gaining access to something I already own,
> such as my (paid for) copy of a copyrighted work, should not be seen as
> bad. Why should printing an eBook to read offline, or transferring an
> eBook to use on my second PC be seen as illegal?

Right, but the analogy to physical property is still weak.  If your
house were like a copyrighted work, you wouldn't be allowed to let
other people visit it!

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org>  | Lending, printing, copying, giving
Temp.  http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/  | and text-to-speech are permissions