[free-sklyarov] Generic reply to the "Dmitry is a criminal" comments

Xcott Craver sacraver at EE.Princeton.EDU
Tue Jul 24 17:10:41 PDT 2001

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Seth David Schoen wrote:

	Actually, the primary weakness of most of the "Dmitry is a criminal"
	arguments is vagueness.  Those arguments refer to "stealing," and
	analogies to robbing houses.  Isn't it wrong to steal?  So if I
	put a lock on my house ETC ETC ETC.

	I think the best way to answer this is to ask, point-blank:
	Who stole what?  Name one single specific example of anyone
	stealing anything using this program.

	These folks easily launch into rants about hypothetical thieves
	who are robbing their houses or committing piracy.  Point out
	that people should only go to jail for committing actual crimes,
	not because of hypothetical crimes committed by invisible pink
	hacker gnomes that only they can see.

							-S