[free-sklyarov] The OSCON sleeps on ...

Klepht klepht at eleutheria.org
Tue Jul 24 18:40:55 PDT 2001

    SDS> In the LUGs around here I hear a _lot_ of concern.

If I recall correctly, the San Diego LUG is very active and
activist-oriented.

        http://www.sdlug.org/

I think there's also a San Diego BSD UG, which is located here:

        http://www.sdbug.org/

I don't know what the time frame is on OSCON, but it may be possible
to contact SDLUG and SDBUG and get together an event before the end of
the week. An announcement sent out tonight for, say, a Thursday lunch
event would be ambitious but not unreasonable. Not to put too fine a
point on it, but it may require some outreach from concerned
individuals at OSCON... hint, hint.

If OSCON folks are somnolent, they would probably benefit from a
leafletting campaign at the convention center. The flyer we had on
Monday was great -- another that emphasizes the importance of the
issue to the Open Source movement might be even more effective.

    SDS> I don't agree that the community isn't extremely concerned.
    SDS> In regular life, we probably wouldn't care for Elcomsoft that
    SDS> much.

The fact is that many if not most of the nationwide events were
organized at least in part by Free Software advocates. We are here,
and we're active.

~Klepht

klepht at eleutheria.org
http://www.eleutheria.org/