[free-sklyarov] Dmitry's Status

Alex Fabrikant alexf at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Jul 24 22:46:32 PDT 2001

What was the last time Dmitry was contacted in the Las Vegas jail to the
best of your knowledge? Is there any available information on when he will
be/was moved to California and/or where exactly he will be/was moved to?

By my records, the last known contact in Las Vegas was with KTNV on July
18, and there have been no further publicly announced contacts since
then. Note that, contrary to current [10:45pm PDT] data on
freesklyarov.org, the last [well]known contact with Rene Valladares, Asst
Public Defender in las vegas, was on monday july 16, NOT monday july 23.

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Will Doherty wrote:

> We know where Dmitry is, that is, in a Las Vegas jail.
> A TV news crew has visited him and others are in contact
> as well.
>
> At 09:43 AM 7/24/2001 -0700, Dan Martinez wrote:
> >So, last I heard, (a) no one knows exactly where Dmitry is, and (b) he
> >has yet to be allowed even consular contact.
> >
> >Are these things still true?
> >
> >If so, it seems like (b) should be played up in the press. Our
> >government raised quite a stink a few months ago when several of its
> >servicepersons were held by the Chinese government without immediate
> >consular contact.
> >
> >As for (a), someone mentioned a writ of habeas corpus. IANAL -- can
> >someone who is comment on the usefulness of such a thing as a means of
> >establishing contact with Dmitri? Is anyone at the EFF or elsewhere
> >pursuing this avenue?
> >
> >While I'm all for marching on until the DMCA lies in rubble at our
> >feet, I don't want to lose sight of the fact that a guy younger than I
> >am has been entrusted to the tender mercies of federal custody, and it
> >would probably do him a great deal of good to know that there's still
> >a larger world out there that cares about him and wants to get him
> >out.
> >
> >Dan

-alexf