[free-sklyarov] Better analogy

Ross Brattain ross at principia.edu
Wed Jul 25 04:36:47 PDT 2001

Apologies if someone has already mentioned this.

Instead of the lock-picking analogy I prefer to think of a window breaking
analogy.

Consider a brick/rock/baseball.  They all can break windows.
Who creates them?  Brickmaker/God/Sporting Goods Manufacturer.  Do we put them
in jail?  Do baseballs have non-infringing uses?  When a baseball breaks a
window is that always criminal?  When you break a window with a baseball does
that mean you are going to steal something?  Is it illegal to tell people that
you can break a window with a baseball.  No, that is inferred from
understanding the nature of glass.  Are windows really used as security
devices?  Yes, bulletproof glass is an example.  Do you always have to break
windows?  Not unless they open otherwise.  Do windows really control what you
can do.  No you can see through them.

I hope this helps.

Forgive any errors, it's late.

Ross Brattain